Hair stylist Andre Walker, best known for his work with Oprah over the last two decades, has identified a curly hair types system consisting of four major curl types. Take a look to see what your particular hair curl type falls into:
Type 2 – Wavy Hair
• An “S”-shaped curl
• Three Type 2 subtypes:
· 2a: Fine, thin, easy to manage, straighten or curl
· 2b: Medium-textured and can be frizzy
· 2c: Thick, coarse, easy to frizz
Type 3 – Curly Hair
• A well-defined “S”-shaped curl that has spring, a lot of body and a lot of hair
• A soft and very fine texture
• Two Type 3 subtypes:
· 3a: Curls are big, loose and healthy
· 3b: Ranges from bouncy ringlets to tight corkscrews
Type 3c – Curly Kinky Hair
This type of hair is generally between 3b and 4a.
• Curly kinky hair has tight curls in corkscrews
• Rather than wiry and course, these very tight curls are usually fine
Type 4 – Kinky Hair
• Kinky hair is generally very tightly curled, wiry and very fragile
• Types range from fine and thin to wiry and coarse
• Kinky hair has fewer cuticle layers than other types of hair, which means it has less protection from potentially damaging activities.
• There are two Type 4 subtypes:
· 4a: Tightly coiled hair with an “S” pattern;
· 4b: Tightly coiled hair with a “Z” pattern.
Styling Tips for All Types of Hair
· Don’t wash your hair every day – instead dry wash your hair with baby powder or consider washing with conditioner.
· If you have wavy hair, consider gels that bring out your curls, but don’t add extra weight.
· If you have kinky hair, consider using styling creams, butters and oils for added moisture.
· Don’t towel dry your hair – rather gently blot it dry and use your fingers and some conditioner to detangle your curls.
· Let your hair air dry or use a diffuser if you must blow dry your hair.
· Use a specially designed curly hair comb or curly hair brush on wet hair – never dry hair.
If you don’t know exactly what type of hair you have, the best thing to do is to visit your stylist or hair care professional to get a personal curl consultation. He or she can examine your hair, make product recommendations and give you a custom plan to best take care of your luxurious curls.